The Music Department offers our students two opportunities to intern in a local school setting. Students interested in experiencing the world of music education should read about the internship application process.
Students are assigned to a school with certified supervising teachers under the direction of a university coordinator. During the semester, students spend two full days per week (Tuesday and Thursday) in assigned schools with half the time in an Elementary setting and half in a secondary school setting. Students are expected to provide their own transportation to assigned locations.
Students are assigned to a school with certified supervising teachers under the direction of a university coordinator five days a week for the entire semester, normally during the student’s last semester. Students are permitted to enroll in other classes only with the consent of the departmental advisor. Students are expected to provide their own transportation to assigned locations.
Teacher Certification Examinations
Passing scores for the three FTCE (Florida Teacher Certification Examinations) are required for admission to the Music Education Professional Program and for graduation. For registration information and study guides click here.
Make sure you indicate for your scores to be sent to UCF as well as to you.
- General Knowledge Test (GKT)
This exam is normally taken after the completion of ENC 1102 and MGF 1106 but no later than the fourth semester of study at UCF as the scores are required for admission into the Music Education Professional Program (See Music Education Professional Program).GKT subtests include:
- English Language Skills (available as a computer based test)
- Essay (not available as a computer based test)
- Mathematics (available as a computer based test)
- Reading (available as a computer based test)
- Professional Education TestThis exam should be taken near the completion of all education courses, including TSL 4080. A passing score on this test is required for graduation.
- Subject Area TestThis course should be taken near the completion of all music and music education courses. It is normally taken concurrently with ESE 3940 (Internship I) but before ESE 4943 (Internship II). A passing score on this test is required for graduation.
Files and Forms
Read and fully understand the internship application process before downloading the PDF files and forms.
About Music Education Internships
- Internship Overview
- Internship Admission Criteria
- Music Education Internship Application Instructions
- Music Certificate of Participation Guidelines and Request Form
- Placement Sheet
- Music Education Internship Application